Sunday, July 02, 2006

Walk Sixty-nine – Clouds

cloudsmedium

WALK69

Robin has recently bought me a wonderful book called ‘The Cloudspotter’s Guide’ by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of ‘The Cloud Appreciation Society’. I’ve always thought that the sky is God’s way to play at abstract painting. I would like to be able to identify clouds more accurately, however almost all of the books on the matter are as dull as ditchwater to read – apart from this one, which combines fact, science, history, literature, poetry and anecdote. If you buy it, don’t, however, get rid of any dull books you might have, as this one is a bit short on decent photographs.
Anyway no false modesty, I’m rather pleased with this watercolour (though if anyone has any tips on how to use masking fluid without damaging the paper I’d appreciate them). The clump on the left is Langley Wood (also known as the Bluebell Wood), and having walked everywhere in this scene I know that all the fields you can see are wheatfields apart from the thin slice on the top right which is a pea crop.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pedro said...

I am following your blog.
This image is really beautifull.

12:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just blew me away. What a gorgeous painting.

12:50 am  
Blogger Penny said...

Love what you have done with the grass in the foreground, a beautifully blanced painting, wish I could do as well, I seem to be going backwards!

2:02 am  
Blogger Hashi said...

Woah! This is fabulous! I especially love the composition.

2:53 am  
Blogger Lin said...

BEAUTIFULLY BEAUTIFULLY DONE!! FRom the shadows of the crops to the shadows of the clouds to the gorgeous rendering of the grasses -- GORGEOUS!

3:52 am  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

Why apologise for liking your own work? Glorious clouds, like the summer days I remember as a child.

10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luminous, heavenly, rare, delightful. Can you tell I like it?

11:47 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I wish I could spend all my time trying to capture clouds in paint!

11:07 am  
Blogger Madelaine said...

I love it! Beautiful!!!

4:21 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

squashedtoad, welcome and thank you

2:37 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Exquisite. I love the sharp detail in the foreground and the soft clouds and background.

6:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home