Saturday, February 03, 2007

Walk Two Hundred and Eighty-Four – In the woods

woodsinfeb
Gorgeous day. I was going to paint fields and trees but I made myself attempt the woods. So often a subject seems overwhelmingly difficult, but if I make myself try it, the next time it gets a smidgen easier. I would love to capture the gorgeousness of the woods in the bluebell season, so time to start practicing. This looks a whole lot better than the original – which is not saying a great deal. With my design background, I know how to get the best out of my scanner and how to tweak a bit in Photoshop. Unlike many other sketchbloggers who complain about their scanner and swear that the original has brighter, cleaner, truer colours, I’m afraid the opposite is true with me. What you get here is probably as good as it gets.

245mm x 170mm on Arches cold pressed paper

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hi Julie, this is wonderful. The colours, the space - distance and the atmosphere. Just stunning.
Jen

10:25 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

I agree with Jen, this is really interesting, and sometimes I tweak mine too, just straight scanner is far too wishy washy.

11:47 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

Yes , I really like this one - interesting to see how you have handled the 'interior' of the wood. I realize now I should have worshipped my old scanner - it did a marvellous job - I only ever had to 'fiddle' by cropping.

12:05 pm  
Blogger Tami said...

Julie, this is wonderful! I love the glow to the tree trunks. In one of my conversations with Jana, I realized that I tend to paint too light for the way I want my work to look so was darkening my work in PS. I try to keep that in mind as I am painting and am finding the it helps. I love this!

3:53 pm  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Where's that gorgeous blue sky we had on Saturday? I do believe you're being perverse Miss Julie. [You have to say] perverse with a Vicar of Dibley accent to get the right effect]

1:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home