Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Walk Two Hundred and Eighty-Eight – Contrails over the Woodland Park

contrails
Very busy day as it’s my lovely son Hugo’s thirteenth birthday. When it’s the children’s birthdays I always cook their favourite meal, (Hugo’s was roast chicken with all the trimmings including lots of home-made stuffing followed by chocolate and pistachio birthday cake with raspberries) so there was shopping and cooking to be done around everything else. On my walk back, as I neared the road by the school I heard the sickening crunch of car against car. I ran to the road to make sure no-one was hurt. Fortunately it was just a shunt of one car driving into the back of another, without much damage – but you’ll never guess who was the poor unfortunate who was driven into – it was Sarah from yesterday! We walked up the path to the nursery together as she resolved to give up driving and take up walking.

190mm x 120mm pen and watercolour in large watercolour moleskine

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Sarah, these past couple of days sound pretty tough. At least it wasn't you this time.
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major.

Julie, I was wondering if you could give me information on what you call your cartridge sketchbooks ?
Also, your watercolour moleskine ?
I recently bought a 65lbs (244 gms)sketchbook and was wondering how it compares. Thank You in advance.

Your art inpires. Now if I only had the time.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

I should feel sorry for Sarah but really I'm busy just loving the sky in this one. And wondering what pistachio pie tastes like.

1:04 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Oh, dear - what a saga - now she has to have both ends fixed. Great sky - did you use wax for the thin lines?

11:39 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

robotcharlie, the sketchbook was a small one I bought in Cornelissen's art shop - the desperate search for the perfect sketchbook. The paper is about 150/200gsm white cartridge. However it was old stock and they now seem to be making their sketchbooks with buff paper - which I hate (I can always add buff to a picture if I want it but I can't take it away). I quite like the moleskine - nice paper but I don't like the perforations and I would prefer to have a portrait format. I can't be bothered to make my own sketchbooks but I'm sure that's the only way to get the perfect book.
Karen the cake was very rich, dense and chocolatey (basically ground pistachios, eggs, butter, sugar and dark chocolate - no flour) delicious and very grown up tasting.
Alison the thinner lines were scraped out with a scalpel.

3:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the sky, and the lines of the hertfordshire flightpaths, and the crow. As the crow flies, as they say. It was my birthday yesterday too, it's a lucky day.

7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home