Thursday, May 04, 2006

Walk Ten - Eat your heart out Andy Goldsworthy




An unseasonally summery day and I came equipped for every possibility. Pens, pencils, watercolours and camera. After a picnic lunch in the shade of Langley Wood we walked over to the grass margin to make our sculpture. It took all my powers of distraction and persuasion to get our ‘sculpture’ to this stage and photographed before Xavier got onto what he considered to be the far more interesting destruction phase of the project.
The whole walk including false starts, detours for toilet and clothes changing stops (naturally I’m referring to Xavier here) took in the region of four hours as opposed to the just over one hour of yesterday. Now see if you can name me any famous artists who were responsible for the care of their children!

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Well, this is beautiful. How fortunate you are to have Xavier to inspire and help you! I am getting such pleasure from this project, anticipating a surprise at the blogs I visit, and a slightly more anxious wondering about what will be in my book by the end of the day - but getting more trusting that there will be something, and that's all that's required. I'm thinking about famous artist mothers - Alice Kettle, embroiderer extrodinaire - if you don't know her work, Google her for some delights. Still, there are few, I think.

4:57 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

It was the first hot day yesterday and a 'sunny' flower made of dandelions is so apt! Have the dandelions gone mad this year near you?

I've been drumming up support for your endeavour and practising "walking and sketching" on my blog - I've done more walking this week than for some time - but then it hasn't been cold and miserable!

8:06 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Alison, I am very fortunate and I wouldn't have it any other way, but for every Alice Kettle, there must be a hundred Picassos, Tracey Emins, etc etc.
Katherine - dandelions (which took quite a lot of collecting) because I knew that nobody would object to me picking them!

11:37 am  
Blogger pedalpower said...

Your sculpture is lovely...and so is your little one! I remember those days of caring for little ones....leaving me exhausted but happy too. They are a handful. It surely does make doing some artwork harder...but then, I'm sure he had a much better time out with you today than he would have if he'd been cooped up indoors.

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home