Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Walk two – Childwickbury


A perfect morning for walking. Blue skies, sunshine but a slight chill in the air. I cut across Spencer playing field, past the horses at Sandridgebury stables, along the bridle path that takes you over the railway track and up to Cheapside Farm. I walked a little further on until I could get a glimpse over the fields of the gorgeous Victorian gothic gatehouse at the entrance to the Childwickbury estate. I found a moss-covered stump of a tree to sit on and drew.

This ‘one mile from home’ project is already demonstrating to me that I don’t appreciate what is right on the doostep. I knew that Childwickbury Manor (behind the gatehouse shown here) was Stanley Kubrick’s home, but I didn’t realise until I was ‘googling’ for information that there is going to be an arts fair there in June – so a date for the diary. Also I’m very tempted to make a mess with oil paints by going on one of Christiane Kubrick’s weekend oil painting courses, however my finances and commitments mean that may have to wait for another year.

I’ve also discovered that a mile is a lot further than I imagined!

8 Comments:

Blogger Hashi said...

I LOVE the line work! And I have to smile at your scenic descriptions -- ah, the English countryside! I remember it well (I lived in a village outside Leicester for a year in 1974).

3:42 pm  
Blogger pedalpower said...

Great idea! My weight is perfect for a 6'4' man....I'll join you. I set up a blog for this one at http://drawamile.blogspot.com/

4:45 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hashi thank you - isn't it a joy of the interent that we can share experiences with people so far away.
Pedalpower I'm thrilled that you're joining us. I'll add your link when I next do some techie stuff on the template.

6:39 pm  
Blogger Kate Robertson said...

I love this idea. I would join you but I sprained my ankle in January and it is still not totally healed. I think the mile would be beyond my capacity.

I loved todays drawing too. I makes me wish I was in the English countryside too. I spent some time in the Cotswolds in 2004. It was lovely there. I'm here in Idaho surrounded by rolling potato fields and distant mountains. Oh by the way I love your work and always enjoy reading your other blog.

10:36 pm  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

I think this is an inspired idea! I'm not sure I could commit to it but I shall tune in and enjoy your art! Good luck!

8:16 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Kate, poor you, I know the feeling my ankles are quite weak and I regularly twist them. Why not join us when you feel up to it.
Thank you Felicity - it did feel like a lightbulb moment!

3:35 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

fluff, thank you so much – it's saying 'save up for the oil painting course!'

7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visit Childwickbury all the time and have done so since I was small. I love walking through the Estate and looking over St. Albans and the Abbey from Batchwood. It's so peaceful there. Your work is great.

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home