Monday, May 01, 2006

Walk Seven – When it all gets too much



As today is a bank holiday and thus not a work day, I thought it would be an opportunity to take a bit of time over my drawing. However when I sat down and looked at the view in front of me – trees, woods, hills, valleys, hedges, fields, a railway track, clouds scudding across the sky – I felt overwhelmed with the enormity of attempting to translate it into line or watercolour. And then I spotted a ladybird in the bank of wild flowers next to me. I thought, I can manage that.

On reaching the High Street and preparing to put the lead on Rufus, I realised I’d left it where I’d been drawing, over a mile back. Oh no! Then I remembered that it was very near the road, so for today my feet were going to take precedence over the environment and rather than walk a further two miles, I was going to drive. However when I told Robin, he was a real sweetie and offered to go off on his bike with Xavier for a ‘treasure’ hunt to let me get on with this post.

8 Comments:

Blogger seesue said...

May 1st. This would be the perfect day to join in on your fun endevour. How abt a 1x per week participant? ThAt could be me. Contemplatively, Sue

6:14 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Sue, I think if you're inspired by the idea, but you only want to make the commiment once a week that's fine. I suggest you outline whatever you're going to commit to on your blog then that commitment will help you stick to it.
Are you going to set up a separate blog or do it on your current one? (So I know for links)

8:05 pm  
Blogger pedalpower said...

Nice! Wonderful idea to focus on something close and when feeling overwhelmed!

6:37 am  
Blogger Robin Oakley said...

It was fun going to find the hidden treasure of the forgotten dog lead. Xavier helped me find the hidden treasure and was very pleased, especially as I'd managed to discreetly add a little box of sweets. Earlier we'd cycled to the pool for a swim and had Cornish pasties on the way back, from a pirate themed takeaway (well we anchored awhile on the tardy pavement moorings). So it was a good pirate day!

9:54 am  
Blogger Alison said...

The ladybird looks so 3D -like a liitle plastic one. I so rarely see them here. Thanks for visiting 5 K Radius. It will give a real flavour of Canberra after a couple of months.

10:55 am  
Blogger Jeanette Jobson said...

This is a lovely blog and concept Julie. Your sketches are wonderful! It does show just how much we can see if we choose to do so. I try a drawing a day whenever possible, and will be travelling soon so I'll capture the landscape of the prairies of western Canada. Lines and perspective!

Great blog, I'll be back.

12:16 pm  
Blogger Lisa Ridolfi said...

I love this blog! Beautiful drawings, great concept, and inspiration for both drawing AND walking. Thank you, Julie!

4:17 pm  
Blogger Cin said...

another beauty Julie, I'm enjoying going on your walks with you, a terrific idea for a series

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home