Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Walk One Hundred and Ninety-Seven – Tree trunks

treetrunks
It was bound to happen, today I came back from my walking and drawing to discover that Alison has chosen the same subject matter as me for today. Of course her drawing is more singular and in beautiful pastel colour. It reminds me of the story of the fashion editor who on being asked how awful it would be if two women turned up to an event wearing the same designer dress to which she replied ‘well one of them would always be thinner!’ So looks as though you win Alison!
195mm x 125mm sepia pen in watercolour moleskine

4 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

It's amazing that a few marks, stabs and scribbles with a pen can suggest so much.
So it is autumn over there and trees are certainly naked. Here is is nearly summer but the apricots are late, still small green pebbles. Usually they are ripe by Christmas.
Very confident drawing.I like it.
w.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

This could almost be one of our burnt out woods - except that the ground looks more like autumn leaves than burned undergrowth. I have not yet mustered enough courage to try a wood as looking into our woods, I cannot actually see spaces to the beyond so it would look very dark if I drew that, yet they aren't very dark. I suppose you just simplify and leave some spaces? I must try and see.

10:37 am  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

So whose trees are thinner? I'll have to click over to Alison's (next on my list anyway) to see. I like the scribbly leaf marks on the ground and how they change from foreground to background.

7:00 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Well Jana I've seen a photo of Alison and she's definitely thinner than me. But also her picture for this day is a very narrow portrait picture and thus 'thinner' than mine. Alison I tried before to reply here. This is just a fringe of fairly young trees so you can see light between the trunks though I did simplify by cutting out some of the distracting undergrowth as I wanted to focus on the way that the trees were planted in lines.

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home