Monday, March 12, 2007

Walk Three Hundred and Twenty-One – The Field

field
I was all fired up with enthusiasm for using masking fluid after yesterday’s painting, but discovered today that it really isn’t a good idea to use it when you’re short of time. As I dragged my kolinsky sable paintbrush over the previously applied masking fluid I discovered to my horror that I hadn’t waited long enough and my beautiful brush was clogged up with lumps of masking fluid. Panic-struck I left the painting to do its own thing and poured all available water over the brush to keep it wet as I pulled each of the sable hairs through my fingernails (an exercise reminiscent of the numerous occasions I’ve had to deal with yet another round of school-spread head-lice — which by the by, for me, has to be the best reason to seriously consider homeschooling). Anyway the brush seems to have been saved. And I’ve learned to leave that little bottle at home unless I have loads of time.

245mm x 170mm pen and watercolour on Arches paper

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Oh, how scary! To ruin a good sable brush with masking fluid would be awful -- good save!

9:40 pm  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I've never used masking fluid. I must look out for it at the art shop. It should be fun to use....sometimes. Did you you it for the jet lines on the sky in the oak tree pic?
Nice field anyway.
Hey did you know that 'Strawberry Fields' was an orphanage? I watched a film about the early life of the Beatles and even Eleanor Rigby's grave is mentioned.
w.

12:35 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Lovely feeling of undulating field and racing clouds. The problem of Lice is indeed the final straw that tips some families into home education. We've only had them once, when we went camping with a schooling family!

11:06 am  
Blogger RH Carpenter said...

Well, I've been checking your blog for a while now and never commented but I just have to tell you how much I enjoy your fresh, clean, crisp colors and your great views of life in the village (I lived in Wales for a year and it takes me back sometimes to walks I had there). Your style is so clean and you seem so sure-handed with your drawing, too. Keep sharing, keep walking, and I'll definitely keep looking in.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

What lovely rolling lines in this paddock, I could keep all of your paintings and love them all.
Head lice, interestingly I had never heard of head lice as a child at school, certainly I never had them and nor did my children, but boy there are epidemics of them amongst my grand children, whatever school they go to.
Glad the brush is ok.

2:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home