Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Walk Two Hundred and Seventy-Three – Michelangelo couldn’t have done this

wheatfieldspath
You may think I’m getting a little big-headed when you read the title of this post, however as I took five minutes (yes that’s right five minutes – oh OK maybe seven minutes) to draw this with a pen, a waterbrush and a tiny set of watercolours, I reflected on how fortunate we are nowadays with the fantastic portable colour media that we have nowadays. To think that the great masters could only use colour for the fresco or the final painting, whereas I produced this as I walked down the path from the nursery, with an impatient Xavier and a conveniently black pair of trousers that I could wipe my waterbrush on as I changed colour. Think about that the next time you feel miserable about some aspect of living in the 21st century!

200mm x 145mm pen and watercolour in small cartridge sketchbook

6 Comments:

Blogger I need orange said...

Gotta love black pants, in addition to modern supplies of all kinds!

I don't suppose Michelangelo could have produced your sketch with modern materials, if he were required to have the toddler in tow...... :-) Nice work.

-- Vicki in Michigan

9:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelangelo lived in sunny Italy so didn't have a freezing English January day as an incentive to speed things up.

1:36 am  
Blogger Penny said...

Sorry Julie, havent had time to look at your blog for 3 days, love the watercolour ones and think zebra coats on my ponies would look terrific, might scare the natives, but a good idea. Sorry i cant walk at night, due to my avanced age (!) Would probably fall and break more than my foot.
great few days of painting classes, one more to go.

10:06 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Poor Michaelangelo had no bicycle either - probably not even tomatoes that we are rolling in at the moment. This reminds me of a playing field near London that we camped in once - when darkness fell and we had to stop cycling.

10:16 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

I find that drawing something fast nearly always produces a good result - love the 'first hit' colours on this one

6:58 pm  
Blogger Jules said...

oh ho! Julie - Soooo relieed that I'm not the only one to put my trousers to good use!!! ( Love the immediacy of this one, by the by!) Jules x

9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home