Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Walk Sixteen – Bluebells


No map today because while the bluebells are looking so gorgeous in Langley Wood I’m tempted to walk the same walk every day. The trees in this wood are predominantly hornbeam, which have a lovely flowing shape rather like beech. In my usual loquacious way (a side effect of isolated self-employment) I once got chatting to a wood cutter working in the wood who told me that hornbeam wood is very dense and machine cogs were often made of it because it is so strong. The other benefit is that if a tooth of a wooden cog breaks, the machine is only out of action for the time it takes for a carpenter to repair it. Hornbeam also makes excellent barbecue charcoal. Now endeth your nature lesson for today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

You're done early - great colour and direction in this one. I don't remember bluebells in my childhood but we went picking snowdrops - I miss them.

11:25 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Hubby works from home most Wednesdays so I arranged to go for an early walk as I knew that he could make sure the kids got up for playgroup and school.

I think Scotland is a bit too far north/too cold for bluebells. I think harebells are the Scottish 'blue bell-like flower'

Of course our fair weather one miler, Katherine, at http://makingamark.blogspot.com is the bluebell illustration mistress

12:51 pm  
Blogger Hashi said...

Oh oh oh! Another gorgeous one!

3:26 pm  
Blogger seesue said...

Julie,your pastel work this morning is all about flow. Love the river of bluebells.
I'd like to link my week 1 walk sketch but am not sure how to get just the one entry. Help?

7:57 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Sue, if you think you're going to have a go at the year-long challenge (even if only as a fairweather one-miler) let me know which blog address to put in the links.I'm not going to bother putting blog addresses in the links for individual entries, as I only want to spend a small amount of time doing 'techie' stuff and individual entries would take up too much of my drawing time.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Veedubya said...

Wbat fun! You go, Girl!! Great idea. Nice art and fun to puruse! Enjoy!

8:37 pm  
Blogger pedalpower said...

This is gorgeous! Such color!

12:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home