Sunday, August 13, 2006

Walk One Hundred and Eleven – Hill End Farm

hillendfarm
I intend to try to draw this farm a few times as I saw a planning application on one of my walks to knock down these farm buildings and replace them with new ones. Much of the land and farm buildings round here, until very recently were owned by the Salvation Army, however with declining donations and on the advice of ‘management consultants’ much has now been sold off. The tenants have been evicted, farm workers have received redundancy notices and the bright new future is upon us.

I painted this in the evening from Pound Farm, after my friend Louise’s birthday party so just a quick walk up the hill to beyond the bluebell wood and back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Hi Julie, glad you managed to paint it before it has all gone. Such a shame that that and your previous post happen. Too many of us, everything has to be now.
I am doing an imagined walk on my blog at the moment as I still dont seem to be able to post images. Seems to be a blogger problem.

9:07 am  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I like it! I appreciate pictures that still retain that look of paint and the artist does not try to produce a photograph.
You must live in a place where the air is clean and the landscape smells sweet.
W.

11:12 am  
Blogger Alison said...

You seem to do these spacious, peaceful views so comfortably. I find it very hard to 'see' them in the field, though mostly the local ones for me involve water and all its difficulties. I'll have to tackle them sometime - to fill up some of the remaining 250+ days!

1:37 pm  
Blogger Tami said...

Don't ya' just hate to see places like this go? Glad you captured it as, before it changes. By the way, I love the name "Bluebell Wood", even the name sounds inspirational

1:33 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Penny, hope your technical problems get sorted.
Wendy and Alison this was done in near dark, so very approximate.
Tami, the new buildings might keep the best of the old, but I thought I'd better keep recording it in case it doesn't. The Bluebell Wood is the colloquial name for what I sometimes refer to as Langley Wood, because it is glorious with bluebells in April?May. BTW I think that English bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are pretty much unique to Britain. Wonderful haze of violet blue and overpowering scent.

8:22 pm  
Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

It is fun to see these works of art. You must be in great shape. Nice concept to take a daily walk, live and paint.

4:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home