Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Walk One Hunded and Six – Problem solved

gravestone
A quick nip up to the bluebell wood with a detour round the village church.

I didn’t have much time to walk and draw as I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Jeremy, the Managing Director of the chain of opticians I was complaining about in my previous post. He was very helpful. He said he’d see if there was any way he could match the online price and if he couldn’t he’d give me the information I had asked for. He explained that ‘The pupillary distance is a measure between the centre of the pupils & is NOT the necessarily the same measurement of optical centration between the lens centres. Vertical positioning of the pupil is also a relevant factor.’ I explained that with having four children a pair of prescription sunglasses was a bit of luxury and that I didn’t have the budget for a really good pair and that I was prepared to take a bit of a gamble on them not being quite right at the sort of prices I could get them online. For my everyday glasses I’d stick with the superb quality and service he had provided for me a few months ago.

Anyway in the end he couldn’t match the prices, he gave me the information I wanted and we parted friends. He did make me laugh though, because he said ‘the trouble with the British public is that buying glasses is a grudge purchase’, well that’s alright for you to say Mr I’m-forty-two-and-I-still-don’t-need-to-wear-glasses! Of course it’s a bloody grudge purchase!

Now Jeremy I think we’ve both been nice but I’ll leave it up to you as to whether you want your company (which did supply me with a truly marvellous pair of varifocals) publicised. Just leave a comment in the comment box and people can link back to you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Whew! Glad he came through and did the right thing! The drawing of the cross today looks much calmer than yesterdays drawing, but then maybe,I am reading thinkgs in*G*!

1:52 am  
Blogger Actcrabby said...

Yes, of course they're a grudge purchase! Glasses suck up an alarming amount of money when you have to supply a whole family, especially when small children need a prescription change after just about every growth spurt. I just got my first pair of prescription sunglasses ever, in a three-for-one sale, and I'm thrilled with them. Hope you enjoy yours.

5:00 am  
Blogger Alison said...

I do miss proper graveyards - country churches have them but only the oldest church in Canberra has one - evryone else is in purpose built graveyards with rules against stones that stick up as they can't be mown over. well done to pursue the glasses problem - i do hope the new ones suit and that you have a great boat holiday. We once took a non sailor on a dinghy and as it capsized and threw him into the water, his glasses fell off but they were scooped up by the centreboard and my brother just caught them.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Tami, yes I'm glad.
Agnes - you tell me - I've been very short-sighted since the age of eight and the misery of being a teenager with glasses and then all the money I've spent over the years. We are lucky here though in that prescriptions and basic glasses are free for children.
Alison yes, I love the craftsmanship on some of the lovely old headstones. Though Flo has warned me that if I don't behave she will organise a grave for me covered in green chippings and the epitaph will be carved in Comic Sans!

4:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Jeremy Brown from Ronald Brown Opticians. I understand the 'grudge purchase' syndrome for spectacles. It is also very comforting how so many other clients enjoy choosing an attractive and well designed pair of spectacles without any concerns.

Many of my female clients express that they would rather invest in excellent eyewear, rather than the inordinately large number of shoes that many women seem to accumulate. The clients deem their faces to be more widely looked at than their feet.

5:45 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Well Jeremy I spent about the same amount of money I would spend on footwear over a period of five years, when I bought my glasses from you, but gosh I'd still rather be able to spend the money on shoes instead

9:55 pm  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Oh that is so funny to have an optician respond with a comment to the blog!
I wrote a story one time about a woman who got fined for parking her car illegally and she corresponded with the Indian guy who kept putting up the fine every month or so. In the end they met face to face and a different kind of sparks flew! I won a prize at Werribee with the story and at the prize-giving I discovered one of the judges was an Indian guy!
We do get off the track of talking about art don't we!
W.

3:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home