Monday, August 07, 2006

Walk One Hundred and Five – Don’t get mad, get even

village
walk105
Well I was hopping mad this afternoon, but then I thought I’d share this story with all of you. A couple of months ago Robin and I spent the best part of a thousand pounds on a pair of glasses each at our new London optician. We fully intended to continue using these opticians for all of our ‘proper’ glasses. However for my summer holiday (on a boat) I want to buy a cheap pair of prescription sunglasses and the obvious answer is not to worry too much about quality as there’s a strong possibility they could end up overboard, so I opted to buy some very cheap glasses over the internet. I already have my prescription but I don’t have the pupillary distance, (which when I attempted to measure it myself came out as several different measurements) so I rang my London opticians to ask them what it is. They admitted that they do have the information, however they refused to give it to me and said that they have a company policy of not letting customers know what their pupillary distance is. It seems to me that this could well be flouting the Data Protection Act and even if it isn’t it’s an outrageous way to treat customers who are prepared to regularly spend a great deal of money with them. So at this moment Robin is working on a website along the lines of his NatWest website. Of course if they contact me over the next twenty four hours with the information I’ve asked for then I won’t need to let any of you know which opticians they are.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

That really does seem over the edge! It is your eyes so the measurements shoud be open information to you, I would think!
Hope they send the information to you so you can get on with your own stuff!

Lovely drawing (oh, blind one *grin*) Gawd, I would miss you and your view of the world without glasses! Wear them myself so it is kind of like the pot callin' the kettle black...

2:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Julie!

A good old fashioned fight on your hands is exactly what you need at the moment. I'm looking forward to Robin's website.

Rachel

8:23 am  
Blogger Alison said...

It's the same here - it's not a fully competetive market - until recently, we couldn't even get the prescription from optician-linked optometrists. Lovely sketch - just essence of English village - except for the tourists and traffic.

12:54 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Tami, Rachel and Alison - looks as though the strategy has worked - see my next post. Actually I'm glad I've avoided a fight.

10:54 pm  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Oh dear, All of us who live in the land of myopia! I broke the frames recently and for $40 I got new frames which were large and awkward looking but I had no spare cash to get pretty ones. Anyway a week later a wing came off - a screw loose - they fixed it - a week later, another screw loose. Now I tighten the screws each day with my fingernails!
Actually I'm hard on my specs as I take them off to read these days.
W.
You are a busy little bee with your drawings lately. Good on you!
Peceli doesn't wear glasses except to read and he buys them for $6 at the chemists. He has about six pairs, and as for me, with the real eye trouble, I only have one decent pair of specs!

2:53 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Julie - if they have done the check-up on your eyes under the NHS then they have to give you the prescription.

Otherwise just go into your local Vision Express and get your eyes tested again. They always give me my your prescription and they should do the same with you. i find VE understand the market that opticians compete in - which is why there are so many around!

12:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home