Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Walk Seventy-nine – Sucker for a bargain

graphitintnowater
graphitintdabs
graphitintwater
I only intended to buy six graphitint pencils, just to have a dissolvable line when doing watercolours. However in the art shop they only had the twelve pack which was reduced in price so I decided to buy that. However, when I went to pay for it the assistant pointed out that the twenty-four pack with roll-up pencil holder was on special offer and only a couple of pounds more than the twelve pack. So now I have the full set and I really can’t see me using them. Dry, they’re just a collection of sludgy colours. When you wet them, it’s like one one of those books you had as a kid, where all sorts of unexpected (but nevertheless still sludgy) colours appear when you wet the page. In any case I just don’t get this water soluble pencil lark. I like watercolours, I like coloured pencils – are water soluble pencils for people who are a bit nervous of paints?

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

These colours look quite australian - somewhat bleached out - and I like the way you can turn just some of it into 'paint'. I have a set but I don't use them because i hate to keep on swapping around what I'm holding and looking for the right one and feeling I don't have enouh variety - but I think I'll have another go. I love the wildness of this one.

12:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know what you mean. i've played with watercolor pencils both ways, wet and dry and i cannot count on what happens when adding water to the drawing...or drawing on wet paper...i use them mostly dry now...or i will take a separate piece of paper, lay down a lot of color in a small patch and use my water color brush to "dip" into the dry color as tho it were a pan of color (does this make sense?)

Laura of Laurelines (do you visit her blog already?) has experimented with watercolor pencils and posted the results, last month especially, if memory serves me. here is a link if you are interested in looking at what she did
http://laurelines.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/06/index.html

3:40 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

The graphitints are all a sludgy pallette though, no clean bright colours. They kind of dictate the look of anything you do with them. I will try again - maybe. Yes I do look at Laura's blog, but I think she's used brightly coloured watercolour pencils.

11:43 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I know exactly what you mean, but nevertheless, this came out really well. It looks very windblown and desolate and the colors are just right for the scene. Of course it may very well have been a sunny bright scene and the graphitints turned it into something it wasn't. I like it either way!

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home