Sunday, July 16, 2006

Walk Eighty-three – Tom and rusting gate

tomrustygate
WALK83
Tom walked with me again and he took photographs. I’m trying to keep busy. My dear father, who hasn’t seen my mother since they divorced over twenty-five years ago, when I was eventually able to give him the news, got it into his head that he wants to talk to my mother’s priest in Ireland. We all know that (as with almost everyone around her) she seriously fell out with the priest and reported him to the bishop for some imagined misdemeanour. So – despite my advising against it – my father (who is waiting for a hearing aid) insisted I give him the address immediately. So I have a very sore throat from having to shout down the phone at the top of my voice ‘O’ - for ORANGE, ‘L’ for LIMA etc. At no point did he consider that as the children are going to have to sort things out, it might be considerate to support whatever we want. You have to see the black humour in the situation (and take notes on what not to do when you reach their age).

5 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Oh Julie, Dont worry I am and have been taking notes!
Lovely sketch and so nice to have him around.

8:42 am  
Blogger Hashi said...

You've captured a pensive expression so nicely. I hope your throat has recovered.

2:21 pm  
Blogger Actcrabby said...

Good for you, Julie. I'm a believer in black humour. At the very least, your parents can serve as a good bad example, right? When my father died, after a lifetime of neglecting his responsibility to his children, I felt nothing for a few days, then an almost physical sense of a burden being lifted from my shoulders, followed by an influx of peace and joy that lasted for months. I'm praying that happens for you, too. You've done the best you can for your mother. Most importantly you've survived and established your own loving family. In a way, that's a gift to her.

2:33 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Penny, I'm sure you don't need to take notes. Hashi well it's got a big lump in it most of the time as well. Agnes thank you for visiting and your post really made me blub. First time I shed a tear.

12:57 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Such lovely colours. I've been saying for years that I must keep a notebook of how not to behave, but of course I haven't.

11:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home