Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Walk Three Hundred and Eight – The old Post Office

oldpostoffice
There was a constant drizzle all day, I wasn’t going to try and delude myself that the leafless trees in the bluebell wood would be any protection from the rain, so I stopped in the doorway of the village hall to draw, before enjoying the woods in the rain. Just down the road from the zebra crossing is the old post-office. Sadly with the emphasis on financial profitability, rather than community services, and thus a lack of government support for sub post-offices we no longer have one in the village. Reg Auckland, the last postmaster, retired some time ago and his widow Peggy still lives in the house. I think there was a door between the two bay windows when it was still a business. To see how it looked in its heyday look here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Wish we had some of that drizzle, although you are heading into spring and hopefuly we will get some autumn. No rain all Feb, apart from some spots that you could count, dams drying again, John depressed about it all. sigh. Only watering the precious stuff, and we go away for 2 weeks on the 20th March, goodness knows what will be left then if no rain. Love your bits of village life and the houses, so different to ours.

10:31 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

I looked at the old photo - I'd forgotten about the spoke covers on those old bikes - not even any mud guards these days - not that we would need them much here, I suppose. We are lucky to still have a local post office - I try to make a point of using our local shops but these days I don't do much posting - it's all email now.

12:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home