Saturday, December 23, 2006

Walk Two Hundred and Forty-Two – Spencer playing field footballers

footballers
Amongst all the shopping, cooking and cleaning, a quick break to draw and walk. The air was blue with effing and blinding by the players and supporters – not a game for sensitive souls. I then walked through the horses’ fields – where a horse determinedly approached me, so Rufus and I ran in terror to the stile. I’m sure they’re perfectly well intentioned – probably just looking for apples or polo mints, but they’re so big and I’m frightened that their hooves will crush Rufus or my feet. Then round the bluebell wood and home. Tonight I’m being very organised and will make two kinds of stuffing, cranberry sauce, stock for gravy and brandy butter. Robin, I hope, will work out how on earth we turn a table that seats six into a table that seats nine.

230mm x 150mm pencil and watercolour on Arches HP

6 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Merry Christmas Julie and your family. This laptop's signal keeps dropping out so it is only today I have been able to check blogs. great stuff as usual.I missed them so much. We had a bit of rain but not enough although on the Island today it is blowing and we had a shower, the first 2 days were damp ans mizzly and we couldnt see the mainland , yesterday was lovely. We have both rested and recuperated. Walks on the beach, early nights, I have sketched a bit. John caught up with the family story he has to present to a historical society next month, lots of good food, too much wine. Dont want tp go home on boxing day but then I never do.

3:12 am  
Blogger Alison said...

I love the splodges of colour in this one - I too will be making all those things. I have just finished making dozens 14-18 of mince pies - we gave a lot away - I have also made 3 Christmas cakes. We will have the traditional English fare tomorrow as that's what Mum thinks is necessary for Christmas and fortunately the weather will oblige - we may even have to light the fire to keep her warm enough. We have a large piece of chipboard to lay over the top of, and enlarge our table.
I hope you all have a lovely Christmas - Alison

11:30 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

This is so great - all the blurry bits is exactly what they look like when playing. Much beter than if you;d caught them in all the detail.

Can you come and make my sauces too please?

2:09 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Penny a Merry Christmas to you too and everyone who visits here. I'm so glad to hear about the raindrops.
Alison – how impressive – I'm not much of a cake baker and our supermarkets are incredibly good, so many sweet things get bought in. I noticed the other day that (at a price) you could buy tiny mince pies that had all those uneven inconsistencies of home made, so great to buy if you wanted to 'cheat'. Katherine the sauces are the easy bit – Alison is the on really taking on cooking challenges

8:44 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Gorgeous! I love the movement and sketch shapes of the players and the bright colors. I learn so much from your drawings! I'm thinking, "See, people can just be little blurs of color and shape--stick figures almost--and still read perfectly as a team of players." Thanks Julie!

5:52 pm  
Blogger Hashi said...

I love the sketchiness

5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home