Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Walk Two Hundred and Eleven – Sandridge High Street

highstreet
A dismal drizzly day. I left the house wrapped up but trying to think of place I could draw with a dog but without my paper getting wet. A few hundred yards in, the roof overhang at the front of the village hall was the first place I spotted so I took shelter there and filled the last page of my sketchbook. I now realise why there were so many left hand pages left at the beginning of the book. I initially wanted to do a landcape drawing but if you try it you'll see that it’s pretty difficult to sketch (standing up) in the left hand pages of the front of a landscape sketchbook – so portrait is what you get.

I then enjoyed the walk up to the bluebell wood and back, as I didn’t have to think about the weather or where I could find a dry spot.

125mm x 410mm sepia ink and muddytint in large watercolour moleskine

7 Comments:

Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is amazing. Not only is it a really lovely 'village' sketch - but after reading how you created it I'm astounded. You did this standing up? In the rain? Wow!

12:58 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Well done Julie - i think your sketchbook deserves one of those box frames for objects d'art!

What are you going to use for your next one?

2:11 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Wonderful - essence of England and Damp :)

10:04 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Andrea, it's quite interesting doing plein aire every day - before I started this I did feel as though it was very challenging, but by not being too precious about the outcome I have found that as time has gone on the challenge has become a tad less formidable.
Katherine, I have a few different kinds on the go at once. I quite like this large watercolour moleskine but would like the option of square and portrait books and would much prefer no perforations.
Yes very damp Alison - as I walked up the track to the bluebell wood, with the rain trickling down past my feet, I thought this might look like a pretty good river in parts of Australia!

7:56 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

Like Alison it looks so damp and lovely, I like village scenes any way so this one is my idea of what it should look like.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

What a beautiful impressionistic rainy day painting. Your blog and daily plein air drawing/painting is such an inspiration to me. I struggle so much with wanting to do something similar and wanting to be in the studio and having to choose between them due to all the other stuff I have to do too.

5:31 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Penny yes it's damp! Not so sure about lovely.
Jana if you could see my art space you'd understand why I have to get out! I would love to spend long periods of time on studio pieces locked away from kids in a room with soundproof doors, but it's going to be some time before that can happen on a regular basis.

5:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home