Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Walk Two Hundred and Ten – The last of the sloes

hillendmono
I’m filling up the last few pages of my sketchbook and funnily enough chose almost the same spot as on the right hand page.
bales
The scene looks very different now – it’s cold and wet and almost dark, but the text I wrote in my August post could be used almost verbatim
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to slip out of the house and leave the little Emperor behind with the older children. Thus it was difficult to paint with a three year old who had become bored … and who thought that scooping up the mud on the track and throwing it at everything in sight was a far better way to express himself.
125mm x 410mm ink and watercolour in large watercolour moleskine

3 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

I know you make sloe gin but what are they? some sort of wild plum? I like both scenes, actually I like the wintry one best after yesterday, no problems with bush fires in that one.
How is the little Emperor's chicken pox?

9:23 am  
Blogger Alison said...

I really like your monotones - I must give them another go. When they feel like it, 3 year olds are so good at making sure Mums don't get their private moments :)

9:51 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Penny, sloes are the fruit of the blackthorn and are very small bitter plums - quite unpalatable. They have that lovely bluish bloom on them. And yes they are used to make sloe gin (which basically means drinking half a bottle of gin and filling the bottle up with sugar and sloes, shaking it every now and then and then straining the sloes out six months later - by which time they taste quite nice) They are apparently the ancestor of all of our cultivated plums.

And Xavier thank goodness is ready to go back to Nursery - he was never too unfit to go I just had to wait for scabs which apparently is when they stop being infectious.

12:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home