Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Walk One Hundred and Seventy-Five – More playing with graphitints


Honestly, how can anyone seriously use pencils like this when there is such a difference between the colour of the end of the pencil, the colour when you use the pencil as a pencil and the colour when it is wet. The first frame is what I drew in the field, the second frame is after I held the drawing over the steam coming off the daal curry we had for supper, then I wet it with water brushes then I added more pencil and wet it again, then I scraped some of the top layer of paper off, then I added some watercolour paint to the sky.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

All I can say is "WOW!" I love the curve of the rows and the way you set it up to go through the different stages.

6:33 am  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

I know what you mean about the graphitints - I found it thoroughly disconcerting and haven't used mine much.

10:14 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Tami, all the stages kind of demonstrate what a wierd medium these pencils are.You can't really be sure where on earth your drawing is going.
Katherine as the master of coloured pencils, it's good to know that you find them as odd as I do.

10:28 am  
Blogger DD said...

I find that kind of thing really annoying. I have used labels on my pencils before (or use a small tipped permanent marker) to leave myself a reminder of what the color qualities of a pencil are. I also have a pencil that is such a dark purple-blue that it looks like it's a black pencil. I finally marked that one with a rubber band wrapped around near the top of it, so there's no way I'll accidentally try to use it as a black pencil.

11:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I very much enjoy visiting your "walking" blog, not only for you artwork, which I love, but for your descriptions of the challenges of life with children. Keep up the good work.

8:39 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Darla, sounds like a good idea - when its one or two in set - but a bit time-consuming for the whole lot!
Virginia glad you're enjoying it. As someone who's had the menopause, a tantruming toddler and teenagers all at the same time - challenges seems the right word!

10:48 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

I still really like these colours - they have a rawness to them that I find quite expressive.

11:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home