Friday, September 08, 2006

Walk One Hundred and Thirty-Seven – Strange new farming

strawwall
walk137


The weather is beautiful and warm. Xavier and I went for a walk past the Bluebell wood and in three different places I saw something I’d never seen before. There were small crops of corn (in fields where wheat had grown previously) and each of them were enclosed by walls made of straw bales with small gaps between the bales. Xavier thought they were wonderful and slipped through one of the gaps of one of these. We also collected more blackberries. On the way home however, I bumped into someone who was able to enlighten me that the corn was to attract and feed the pheasants (who would be protected by the straw bales). And then the new owners of the farm will be able to make money having pheasant shoots, killing these virtually tame corn-fed pheasants.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Wow, that seems very unfair, but then a hunters mind, I don't have.

Great drawing just the same.

4:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get Xavier to "widen" the gaps between the bales.

5:11 am  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Tami and Rachel, the pheasants have a great life, they can wander in and out through the gaps. They're free to leave, but with all that easy to find food why would they go? They just aren't aware of what is in store for them. I just don't know how the hunters can regard it as much of a challenge.

9:55 am  
Blogger Penny said...

We were in Cornwall a few years ago in early October and I couldnt believe the number of pheasants that looked really tame wandering around every corner in the lanes. Our hosts explained what it was all about.

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home