Friday, September 01, 2006

Walk/Swim/Sail One Hundred and Thirty – Nea Epidavros to Poros

sail13

The illustration above was the view from the back of the boat on our last evening in Poros. To see a bigger version, just click on it.

We set off early from Nea Epidavros as we wanted to have a look at Selonda Bay before returning back to Poros. Although attractive, I think Rod Heikell was exaggerating the beauty of the bay and it did not really justify a detour. We then sailed almost all of the way back to Poros. We stopped at one of the bays, before our final destination, for lunch and a last swim in the sea. If we had had the time I would have liked to have drawn the Villa Galina overlooking the bay. This golden coloured building was where Henry Miller wrote ‘The Colossus of Maroussi’ and where George Seferis the Greek Nobel Laureate poet was a guest. However we had to get the boat back, so it wasn’t to be and the photograph I took will have to do.

At our final destination Robin and the children went into Poros to look for souvenirs of our trip and I drew this picture, sitting in the cockpit of ‘Maria Kallas’.

We then dressed and went for our final group dinner with the others, before our last night sleeping on the boat.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

Julie -- this is incredibly STUNNING!! The line, the wash, the shadows!! AWESOME

1:10 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

wonderful details, lovely shadows - what a great holiday

1:45 pm  
Blogger Tami said...

The colors in this are beausiful! I think this one may be my favorite. I am sorry to see this trip come to an end.

4:22 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Thank you Lin and Alison it was a wonderful holiday and the first time I've ever chronicled one from beginnig to end. Tami, I think this one may be my favourite as well.

10:25 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Oh what gorgeous colors. I love the shadows and the shapes and the colors! Definitey a favorite of mine too!

9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home