Sunday, August 27, 2006

Walk/Swim/Sail One Hundred and Twenty-Five – Limin Angistri to Plaia Epidavros


Force six winds in the morning. The kids had been cold in the night and had moved down into the cabin to sleep. I woke up very early and walked up the hill into the village to draw. Robin gave me an hour but I overstepped the mark so he came up to chase me back to the boat before the wind died down. Our anchor was stuck and the chain was tangled as we attempted to come out, and Michael and Jane on ‘Ellhn’ managed to wrap someone’s anchor around their prop at the same time, however with a bit of luck and lateral thinking we both manged to sort ourselves out.

Robin was a bit unhappy that my drawing overstay meant that the wind had now settled down to a force four and eventually died down to the point that we needed to put the motor on. However this didn’t happen until we waited for ‘Ellhn’ to give up the attempt to sail first, and as they motored past we whipped out the song sheets Robin had prepared for the holiday and sang ‘We are sailing…’

We arrived in Plaia Epidavros early, in time for lunch at the nearby ‘jellyfish beach’. As avoiding jellyfish wasn’t the most enjoyable way of spending time, and Hugo had had enough when a jellyfish suddenly got intimate with his diving mask, I decided it was time to go and visit the ancient ruins of Epidavros in the mountains. Tom and Hugo came with me while the other three found an alternative place to swim. A taxi driver drove us through the orange groves to the site and left us to walk around for an hour and a half before picking us up later.

The amphitheatre at Epidavros is renowned for having the most phenomenal acoustics. You could hear a small coin drop from the top seats. However, for me, the most amazing experience was singing from the central spot, where you could feel the sounds coming from you vibrate as though you were inside a microphone.

That evening we had a group meal overlooking the harbour with all the new people who had joined the flotilla.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Stunning! I can just picture you trying to figure out how to draw/paint this and get the perspective you wanted--it came out so perfectly but I imagine it wasn't easy. Is that you singing in the middle?

7:55 am  
Blogger Penny said...

I agree with Jana, oh you have been having such a wonderful time, you can hear the envy in my typing.

10:37 am  
Blogger Tami said...

Wow! The amphitheatre sounds pretty incredible! Sounds like Robin was just frustrated with the start of the day in general.

1:03 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

Marvellous 'sketch' - yes, I'm sure it is you singing down there -look out three tenors, Madame Julie's coming. And it's thanks to you that I met Hashi yesterday - thank you, thank you - we had a lovely time

1:47 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Ha ha! Well the figure could be me or Tom or Hugo – we all had a go. I forgot to draw the other people, so as you can imagine it was a little unnerving, but worth it for the experience.

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home